Getting there!

Getting to a final first version, I would like to come out with a version that has all the functions you’ve seen and leave it at that before it gets more complicated.  So I might do a very limited run and get peoples opinions and ideas.

Some additions I’ve made…

1. USB port so firmware can be updated, you will also be able to power the unit though USB.  Of course it would be nice to let the synth talk back to a computer which is possible but it something I haven’t delved into at all, but would like to in the future and main thing is having the hardware there.

2.  I’ve added a couple more pots (I always love more knobs!) right now thy do nothing, but I had the inputs for the microprocessor and having the hardware means that code could always be written for them.

3.  I’ve added another switch also, again no function as of now but it’s if it’s needed

4.  Of course the save and load fuctions.

5.  Speaking of switches I’ve found a slide switch that looks like it will work good and best of all very cheap, the toggles you see in the pics where about 3 bux each, the slide switches are .39 cents, so large difference since I’m looking to keep this low cost.  BTW adding the USB only adds about 6-7 dollars in components.

6.  Changed to a SMD microprocessor and the USB interface only comes that way, so I’ll offer both unsoldered and soldered versions of the chips, changing this added the 2 extra pots since the SMD version has a couple extra inputs.

7.  Also working on ‘something’ extra, don’t know if it’ll work out but hope it does.

On a side note even though I added all this the PCB actually shrunk a bit and my target of under 100 bux is still easily achievable.

Don’t expect anything to quick though, PCBs take at least a couple weeks to turn around and I want to build and test also, but heading in the right direction so that good.

Again thanks to everyone that has left a comment here or on 8bitcollective.com, or any other blogs that have been nice enough to show my work (Was on that Make magazine blog, and as being a subscriber that’s really cool to me!)  Please feel free to leave input as there is a good change it will directly influence this project of mine.

Here is a pic of the layout of the latest version….


Pulsar Version 0.9.3



4 Responses to “Getting there!”

  1. 1 egr
    April 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm

    All of that is very good news. More knobs!!! Always a great idea. You can count on me as a first run tester, if needed. I really like the USB power option, very “green” of you. Suggestioins? Hmmm… maybe an audio in to allow the unit to act as a modulator of some kind?

  2. 2 lazerbeat
    April 17, 2009 at 4:11 am

    Also very interested in this, I shall follow development closely. Also up for help with testing and the very best of luck with this.

  3. 3 lolitacomplex
    April 18, 2009 at 10:30 am

    good stuff! would love to test it out for you if you need people!

  4. 4 imasu
    September 16, 2009 at 12:09 pm

    cool stuff i like where this is going

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Please Donate!

April 2009
« Mar   May »

Top Clicks

  • None

%d bloggers like this: